Below you can find information regarding some upcoming changes to the St Mary's Swim School prior to our lessons returning next week.
Swimming lessons will return from Thursday 4th November, but some lesson times have changed as we return to our pre-COVID lesson schedule. All classes will now begin either on the hour or on the half hour, so to maximise our contact time with swimmers and offer a broader range of swimming lessons.
Please click on the link below for a new swim school schedule, which is in effect from Thursday 4th, Saturday 6th and Sunday 7th November. If you still require clarity as to which stage your child is on, please respond to this email or call us on 01249 857335.
In regard to changing arrangements, the same policy will remain in place as when we relaunched in September, whereby swimmers will depart using the two larger 'pupil' changing rooms following their lesson. Feedback regarding the reversal of our one-way system has largely been positive as we try to control the flow and overall capacity of our changing rooms.
Welcome to the St Mary's Swim School
Swim School COVID-Safe Guidelines
Your health and safety, and that of our staff, is our priority and therefore new COVID-Safe measures are now in place, details of which can be found below.
In line with government guidelines and advice from Swim England and the Swimming Teachers Association, we have put in place stringent measures to ensure your children can enjoy their swimming lessons safely.
We have tried to accommodate most of the sessions that were taking place prior to the COVID-19 closure but unfortunately, we have had to remove a couple of lessons to allow for a staggered start time system which will avoid overcrowding in the changing rooms in line with government social distancing guidelines. We have also slightly changed the times of some lessons.
Please be aware of the following measures:
- Children under 8 years of age should be accompanied by a parent/guardian – Only one parent to attend please.
- Please do not bring non-swimming siblings to lessons as capacity is limited.
- If you or your child have any concerns about coming in on their own, please speak to reception. In these circumstances, parents will be able to accompany their child through the changing rooms to poolside. Under 8’s must be accompanied by a parent/guardian at all times.
- All children and parents will be asked to use hand sanitiser on entering and exiting the building.
- Please follow the one way system that we have in place and observe social distancing measures at all times.
- Swimmers should arrive 'beach ready' with their swimwear already on underneath their clothes.
- We recommend that all swimmers wear a swim hat.
- Arm bands, toys and floats can still be provided during lessons; however, if you have any of your own swimming equipment or bath/sensory toys, you may bring these in to use instead.
- Please arrive five minutes before your lesson start time. Please wait in your car if you are here any earlier than this.
- All swimmers must arrive promptly for the start of their lesson. Once the class has started, unfortunately we will not be able to allow you to enter. This is to ensure sufficient cleaning time between each class and to avoid overcrowding.
Your declaration to us:
By visiting and entering St Mary’s Calne Sports Club, you are agreeing to make a COVID-19 health declaration to confirm that:
- You or any members of your household do not have any COVID-19 symptoms.
- You or any members of your household have not had a positive test result within the last 14 days.
- To the best of your knowledge, you have not been in close contact with anyone showing signs of Coronavirus symptoms. Any swimmer/parent/guardian that has been in contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19 must self-isolate for 14 days.
- Any swimmer/parent/guardian who has travelled overseas to a country not covered by the travel corridor exemption, must self-isolate for 14 days and not attend swimming.
- Any swimmer/parent/guardian who is awaiting results for a COVID-19 test must not attend swimming.
All members and guests are also expected to adhere to social distancing and to follow the new advice and protocols provided by the Sports Club.
About our Swim School
A new swimming scheme was launched at the club in September 2012. Following the Swim England (formerly Amateur Swimming Association - ASA) awards scheme, lessons are based on ‘The National Plan for Teaching Swimming’.
We believe learning to swim is a necessary skill and rewarding experience. Our vision incorporates opportunities for your child to achieve lifesaving skills or progress to St Mary’s Junior Aqua Development (formerly Junior Development Squad) which is the pinnacle of our Swim School programme.
Lessons begin with Duckling classes for parents and children from the age of 2. These are followed by our main Swim School stages 1 to 10 for ages 4+. All swim stages have low pupil to teacher ratios which are designed to enhance learning experience, with maximum class sizes of 8 students for Stages 1-3 and 10 students for Stages 4-10.
You can enrol you child at any time. If you know the stage your child requires please check to see if we have availability. Application forms can be downloaded here and are also available at reception.
Ducklings: It’s never too soon to start! Our foundation programme encourages parents to share ‘confidence time’ in the water with their little ones. Suitable for children 2 - 4 years old. An enjoyable experience with a qualified teacher learning the basic motor skills and having lots of fun as they start their learn-to-swim journey in preparation to move onto the ASA stages.
Swim England Stages 1 - 10: These stages develop basic safety awareness and stroke technique incorporating all the disciplines of competitive swimming. See your child progress in to a competent and confident swimmer which will lead to a habitual healthy lifestyle.
Junior Aqua Development: Aimed at developing the stamina, fitness and skills required to swim competitively. For those with Stage 8 and above. This session is no longer invitation only, however an assessment will need to be conducted prior to admittance to the Junior Development Squad.
Dates For Your Diary
Cancellation Policy - One to One Lessons
Demand is high for one to one private swimming lessons. Payment must be made in advance or at the time of booking. Cancellations must be made giving a minimum of 24 hours’ notice otherwise refunds/credits will not be given.