Mandatory guidance: Please be aware that parents/guardians must wear a face covering whilst in the centre.
Swim School Relaunch
Your health and safety, and that of our staff, is our priority and therefore new COVID-Safe measures are now in place, details of which can be found below.
COVID-Safe Guidelines for the St Mary's Swim School
In line with government guidelines and advice from Swim England and the Swimming Teachers Association, we have put in place stringent measures to ensure your children can enjoy their swimming lessons safely.
We have tried to accommodate most of the sessions that were taking place prior to the COVID-19 closure but unfortunately, we have had to remove a couple of lessons to allow for a staggered start time system which will avoid overcrowding in the changing rooms in line with government social distancing guidelines. We have also slightly changed the times of some lessons.
Please be aware of the following measures:
- Children under 8 years of age should be accompanied by a parent/guardian – Only one parent to attend please. A socially distanced seating area will be available on poolside for you. We ask that parents/guardians wear a face mask whilst in the swimming pool environment. This is due to the length of time that you will be in the pool hall environment for and has been advised by our swimming governing bodies.
- Please do not bring non-swimming siblings to lessons as capacity is limited.
- When possible, children who are 8 years old and over will need to be dropped off outside reception and collected from the car park fire exit as we try to minimise foot fall through the Sports Centre and we also cannot accommodate any spectators for children over 8 years of age.
If you or your child have any concerns about coming in on their own, please speak to reception. In these circumstances, parents will be able to accompany their child through the changing rooms to poolside. Parents will then exit through the double doors on their right into reception and along the changing room corridor to the fire exit. Under 8’s must be accompanied by a parent/guardian at all times.
- After swimming: As before, we would prefer that swimmers towel dry on poolside and put a suitable warm outer layer on over their swimwear before exiting. However, we appreciate that this is not ideal in the colder weather and swimmers will have the opportunity to exit via the appropriate changing room (male, female or family) and quickly towel dry, remove wet swimwear and put on warm clothing. Please be aware that showers and hairdryers will not be available. Different classes must not mix and we therefore ask you to vacate the changing rooms as quickly as possible and before the next class enters. Changing zones are clearly marked out within the changing rooms. Please maintain social distancing at all times.
Swim School Collection Zone
- All children and parents will be asked to use hand sanitiser on entering and exiting the building.
- Please follow the one way system that we have in place and observe social distancing measures at all times.
- Swimmers should arrive 'beach ready' with their swimwear already on underneath their clothes.
- There are no changing facilities available. The only exception to this is for Ducklings customers. Children are encouraged to bring a robe/towel or dressing gown to put over themselves when they leave the centre. Robes or dressing gowns can be placed in specific areas on poolside. See 'After Swimming' section above for further advice.
- We recommend that all swimmers wear a swim hat.
- Arm bands, toys and floats can still be provided during lessons; however, if you have any of your own swimming equipment or bath/sensory toys, you may bring these in to use instead.
- Teachers will teach from poolside and unfortunately, we will not have swim assistants in the pool. Stage 3 lessons will now be taught in the shallow end.
- Please arrive five minutes before your lesson start time. Please wait in your car if you are here any earlier than this.
- All swimmers must arrive promptly for the start of their lesson. Once the class has started, unfortunately we will not be able to allow you to enter. This is to ensure sufficient cleaning time between each class and to avoid overcrowding.
- All swimmers must shower on poolside before entering the pool. The poolside showers can also be used after swimming to rinse off the chlorinated water.
Your declaration to us:
By visiting and entering St Mary’s Calne Sports Centre, you are agreeing to make a COVID-19 health declaration to confirm that:
- You or any members of your household do not have any COVID-19 symptoms.
- You or any members of your household have not had a positive test result within the last 14 days.
- To the best of your knowledge, you have not been in close contact with anyone showing signs of Coronavirus symptoms. Any swimmer/parent/guardian that has been in contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19 must self-isolate for 14 days.
- Any swimmer/parent/guardian who has travelled overseas to a country not covered by the travel corridor exemption, must self-isolate for 14 days and not attend swimming.
- Any swimmer/parent/guardian who is awaiting results for a COVID-19 test must not attend swimming.
All members and guests are also expected to adhere to social distancing and to follow the new advice and protocols provided by the Sports Centre.
About our Swim School
A new swimming scheme was launched at the Sports Centre in September 2012. Following the Swim England (formerly Amateur Swimming Association - ASA) awards scheme, lessons are based on ‘The National Plan for Teaching Swimming’.
We believe learning to swim is a necessary skill and rewarding experience. Our vision incorporates opportunities for your child to achieve lifesaving skills or progress to St Mary’s Junior Aqua Development (formerly Junior Development Squad) which is the pinnacle of our Swim School programme.
Lessons begin with Duckling classes for parents and children from the age of 2. These are followed by our main Swim School stages 1 to 10 for ages 4+. All swim stages have low pupil to teacher ratios which are designed to enhance learning experience, with maximum class sizes of 8 students for Stages 1-3 and 10 students for Stages 4-10.
You can enrol you child at any time. If you know the stage your child requires please check to see if we have availability. Application forms can be downloaded here and are also available at reception.
Ducklings: It’s never too soon to start! Our foundation programme encourages parents to share ‘confidence time’ in the water with their little ones. Suitable for children 2 - 4 years old. An enjoyable experience with a qualified teacher learning the basic motor skills and having lots of fun as they start their learn-to-swim journey in preparation to move onto the ASA stages.
Swim England Stages 1 - 10: These stages develop basic safety awareness and stroke technique incorporating all the disciplines of competitive swimming. See your child progress in to a competent and confident swimmer which will lead to a habitual healthy lifestyle.
Junior Aqua Development: Aimed at developing the stamina, fitness and skills required to swim competitively. For those with Stage 8 and above. This session is no longer invitation only, however an assessment will need to be conducted prior to admittance to the Junior Development Squad.
Dates For Your Diary
Swim School Exclusion Dates
Wednesday 23rd, Thursday 24th, Saturday 26th and Sunday 27th December
Cancellation Policy - One to One Lessons
Demand is high for one to one private swimming lessons. Payment must be made in advance or at the time of booking. Cancellations must be made giving a minimum of 24 hours’ notice otherwise refunds/credits will not be given.